The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) says two fatalities were recorded in a Thursday gas explosion that rocked the Ajegunle area of the state.
The agency further disclosed that 23 others who were severely injured were rescued from the explosion that occurred at Aduke Street, Off Ojo Road, in Ajegunle area near Apapa.
According to its Director-General, Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, a ‘phone call’ triggered the incident.
The D-G said that when LASEMA officials arrived at the scene of the incident, they discovered that a gas cylinder store had exploded as a result of gas leakage.
“Our further investigations at the scene revealed that the fire ignited as a result of a phone call by an unidentified resident.
“This spread to other nearby shops and a bungalow behind the shops.
“Unfortunately, two children (a male and a female) lost their lives and there were other 23 casualties who sustained multiple burns.
“All the casualties have been evacuated to the Burnt Unit, Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos for treatment,” he said.
Oke-Osanyintolu said the remains of one of the two bodies, identified as Damilare Afolabi, had been bagged by the LASEMA Response Team (LRT) and handed over to the family.
He, however, said that the entire area had been cordoned off and that post-disaster assessment was ongoing.
He urged residents to avoid the use of naked fire in the area to prevent further disaster.