No fewer than 59 fatalities have been recorded in fire incidents caused by careless handling of cooking gas, inferior electrical materials and others between January and June, the Kano State Fire Service has said.
The spokesman of the service, Alhaji Saidu Mohammed, said that the fatalities were recorded in 499 fire incidents.
According to him, property worth N598 million were also lost in the incidents in the period under review.
However, Mohammed said that 639 lives and property worth N1.6 billion were saved.
He added that the service responded to 364 rescue calls and 91 false alarms from residents during the month.
He noted that the fire incidents resulted majorly from improper handling of cooking gas, use of inferior electrical materials, use of boiling rings and improper wiring.
Mohammed advised residents to patronise qualified electricians, use quality electrical materials, and exercise caution when using cooking gas to prevent fire disasters.