Woman electrocuted in Lagos
The victom

A 58-year-old food vendor, Mrs Florence Imoh, was electrocuted on Monday in her shop in the Ikotun area of Lagos State.

The incident occurred at 12, Shosanya Street, Ijegun road, Igando-Ikotun Local Council Development Area.

A neighbour of the deceased, Mrs Mercy Alomona, revealed that at exactly 6:30 am she saw the lifeless body of Imoh holding onto her shop’s metal gates.

Another neighbour, Sodiq Bello, explained that the deceased failed to spot that a naked wire from an electric pole that supplied electricity to the building had made contact with the iron gate.

“Mama Chikodi as Imoh was fondly addressed, was trying to open the iron gate of her shop without noticing the contact and got electrocuted,’’ Bello explained.

The Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Isheri-Osun Police Station, SP Rafiu Akinlade, confirmed the incident.

He said, “We have been informed and I have called Ikeja Electric about the development, and they have switched off the electricity in the area; this is to allow us evacuate Imoh’s body.

“I have also directed my officers to go to the scene of the event from where the body was evacuated.”

Read Also: NAFDAC Now Empowered To Regulate Processed Foods – Health Ministry

The DPO disclosed that the incident was taken to the Isolo General Hospital mortuary.

He noted that the incident could have been averted if an insulator protector was in place in the building, stressing that the rain compounded the situation.

“If the building had an insulator, the insulator would have absorbed and protected the residents from any danger.

“Residents need to be careful and be vigilant, especially during and after rainfall.

“When it rains, it is advisable to avoid touching iron or metal object,’’ Akinlade said.

 

 

Let us know

Receive Alerts on: Whatsapp: +2348022417409 facebook: @SafetyRecordNG Twitter: @SafetyRecordNG, Share your story with us: SMS: +2348022417409, Whatsapp: +2348022417409, Email: Report@safetyrecordng.com

LEAVE A REPLY