generator

Two brothers have died after inhaling generator fumes in Lagos, barely a week after the Senate advised Nigerians to install carbon monoxide detectors in their vehicles, houses and offices.

The Police Public Relations Officer of the Lagos State Command, DSP Bala Elkana confirmed that the brothers died in the Ojota area of Lagos on Tuesday, May 21.

He said that the brothers were found dead while sleeping in a shop owned by their elder sister.

A generator was running in the same place that the brothers slept, Elkana added.

He said, “On May 21, at about 7.30am, Ogudu Police Station received an information that on the said date at about 6.30am, one Emmanuel John, 21 years and John Paul, 22 years were found dead.

“They died as a result of generator fumes they inhaled while asleep.

“We gathered that the duo  put on a generator and locked themselves inside the shop, resulting to their death.”

Read Also: Company fined $210k, supervisor jailed after permanent disability to worker

He added that the victims’ elder sister found their dead bodies.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that the brothers were recently brought from the village to learn some skills before the incident.

Safety Record recalls that the Senate had on Wednesday, May 15 expressed concerns about the dangers posed by carbon monoxide.

Senator Gbolahan Dada, in a motion of public importance he moved on the floor of the Upper Chamber, said that many Nigerians would continue to die silently if nothing was done to address the issue.

He said, “Apart from deaths occurring from various security challenges in the country, many Nigerians are also losing their lives to devastating effect of carbon monoxide in motor vehicles, houses, offices, workshops and factories on a daily basis.

“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. It has no smell, no taste and no sound. It is also difficult for persons inhaling it to detect same.

“When inhaled, some of the signs are dizziness, nausea, headache, confusion and ultimately, death.

“Carbon monoxide is a by-product of combustion. Exposure to this danger occurs through gas fires, oil burning furnaces, portable generators, charcoal grills among others.”

The Senate advised all Nigerians to use and install carbon monoxide detectors in their motor vehicles, houses, dwelling places, offices, workshops and factories.

The Senate also advised the “National Orientation Agency (NOA), Federal Ministry of Information, Federal Ministry of Labour etc to create awareness through Radio, Television, Newspapers and mass media etc among Nigerians, workers and employers on the need to use and install carbon monoxide detectors (alarms) in motor vehicles, houses, dwelling places, offices, workshops and factories for preservation of lives and good health of Nigerians.”

 

 

Let us know

Receive Alerts on: Whatsapp: +2348022417409 facebook: @SafetyRecordNG Twitter: @SafetyRecordNG, Share your story with us: SMS: +2348022417409, Whatsapp: +2348022417409, Email: Report@safetyrecordng.com

LEAVE A REPLY