A Safety Officer with Ikeja Electric Plc, Engr. Moses Oyeniran, has lamented the high number of homes without proper earthing in Ayobo, in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos.

He made the disclosure while delivering a lecture on electrical safety at the monthly Ayobo-Ipaja Community Development Committee (CDC) meeting which held at the Council Secretariat, Igbogila on Friday, February 23.

He said that more than 65 percent of homes starting from Oluwaga area down to the rest of Ayobo lack proper earthing.

Oyeniran explained that lack of proper home earthing exposes occupants to risks of electrical shock.

The safety expert recounted the story of a female University of Lagos Master’s degree student named Queen who was electrocuted as she showered in her Bariga residence.

Oyeniran said that investigation into the case revealed that there was a “neutral failure” from the transformer which was helped by the improper earthing of the house.

He said, “If a home has no proper earthing, if a phase enters it, it can supply high voltage.

“But if the house has proper earthing, the earthing can reduce the impact of the high voltage so that it won’t do too much damage before it is reported.”

He disclosed that the incident made Ikeja Electric embark on a sensitisation campaign to encourage home owners to properly earth their properties.

In the same vein, Oyeniran urged home occupants to avoid keeping gas cylinders inside their kitchen to avoid falling victim of fire explosion.

He equally harped on the need to avoid using mobile phones while cooking with gas cooker.

The safety officer disclosed that since the beginning of 2018 four separate accidents involving gas cylinders used inside the kitchen had been reported across the country with casualties recorded.

He added that in all four accidents, the victims were found to have been using their mobile phones which led to an explosion.

Also, Oyeniran charged residents to ensure that the right size of cable is used in wiring their homes.

“You cannot use the same size of the cable that you used for bulb of 25 watts for 100 watts,” he said.

He advised the Community Development Associations (CDAs) and residents to avoid engaging non-Ikeja Electric staff to correct faults on the company’s infrastructure, calling on residents to report acts of vandalism of electrical infrastructure on time.

Oyeniran equally advised against erecting structures under power lines, saying that doing so could lead to loss of lives and properties.

Meanwhile, the Chairman, Ipaja Zone, Licensed Electrical Contractors Association of Nigeria, Mr Adeoye Owodunni, has urged community members to stop compelling its members to tamper with electrical installations of Ikeja Electric.

Owodunni said that though LECAN members are licensed by Ikeja Electric, they had their boundaries which erring communities were always pressuring them to breach.

Let us know

Receive Alerts on: Whatsapp: +2348022417409 facebook: @SafetyRecordNG Twitter: @SafetyRecordNG, Share your story with us: SMS: +2348022417409, Whatsapp: +2348022417409, Email: Report@safetyrecordng.com

LEAVE A REPLY